Needle Guardian

Sept 12, 2007

I loved this piece! As always, with a Teresa Wentzler. 🙂 I came up with my own finishing method, and it turned out well. Not as perfectly as I would wish for, but better than I’d hoped. The first page has a place for needles and a pocket for holding needle packets. The second page has another place for needles and a scissor pocket with ribbon to hold it inside the keeper. I put on a bead dangle, and ribbon, to keep the keeper closed.

I enjoyed this one enough that I would possibly stitch it again in the future.

Advertisements

a finish and a WIP

I have a few things to share this evening. 🙂 The first one is a biscornu, my first ever. I realized after finishing it that it probably really should have had more stuffing inside. I also forgot to scan the two pieces of needlework before I stitched them together. oops.

Anyhow, the patterns came from My Aunt’s Attic. I used 28 ct antique white evenweave. The light side is stitched with Needle Necessities #119, and the more colorful side is stitched with Waterlilies #74 Storm Clouds, and Simply Shaker Butternut Squash. I was aiming for a more French blue, (should have realized that with a name like “Storm Clouds” the color was likely to be more gray than blue), but I still am pleased with the result.

My other piece to share this evening is a WIP. I’m stitching Needle Guardian by Teresa Wentzler (yay for Patterns Online! I’ve been wanting this one since I saw pics of it in someone’s blog who had attended the workshop.) It is also stitched on 28 ct antique white evenweave. I have some more lettering I can do, as well as the nun stitch border, but I’m almost out of things I can do until my order of Dinky Dyes, Kreinik and Mill Hill beads comes in. I thought about substituting things I have in my stash, and decided against it. For one thing, I looked online and couldn’t really find any variegated floss that had a similar colorway to the Dinky Dyes “Airlie”. I know that any TW stitched with her supply list turns out lovely. I’m not so sure what would happen if I replaced willy-nilly.

For anyone who intends to stitch this, if you’re as impatient as I am, you might want to order your floss *before* you start stitching it. It took me a while to find an online needlework shop that carries it which I was willing to do business with. And even so, they have to order it because they don’t have it in stock. I only found a few shops that said they had it in stock, usually just one skein. I wanted two skeins, in the same dye lot. I think I might want to stitch another one of these needlecases, and I didn’t want to have to twiddle my thumbs waiting for floss again. 🙂 I didn’t scan this, but when I finish it I’ll be sure to do a scan instead of just snapping a photo.

Notes on Egyptian Sampler

July 21, 2006
I’ve done the backstitching starting at the left, up til about the third papyrus motif. It’s terribly tedious and time-consuming to do the backstitching, hence why I’m doing it as I go along instead of waiting until the very end of the sampler. It is also time intensive to do the million billion quarter stitches that make up the bulk of the papyrus motifs, or I’d have probably finished the top border by now. I’ve vowed to get the top done, and then do a wee bit in the central design area as a reward. 😀

March 28, 2007
Well the other day I was very tired of stitching spring things, and my quick project had turned into a much longer one than I’d planned for. Rather than chop up Springtime Roses with my scissors, I put it away for a while and returned to Egyptian Sampler. It has definitely been the right decision, as I have not only made excellent progress on ES, but I have also discovered that I do like Springtime Roses. Which means it will one day be a finish and not a UFO.

The colors and energies in ES have been delightful to work with, even though I think there are somewhere around 40 symbols in just the falcon. Most of them blends. I’ve been back-stitching as I finish elements so that I won’t be faced with an eternity of back-stitch at the end. The beads, however, are waiting until the end after I’ve gently washed the piece.

I was able to do quite a bit of stitching on ES lately. I changed tactics a little bit, and instead of concentrating on one area until I’d finished it all the way to the back-stitching, I ventured a bit further into the design. I’m glad I did since it gives me a visual frame of reference for the dimensions of the piece. Something exciting is that the bottom edge of the box at the lower right-hand corner is at about the halfway point in the design. 😀 I did edit the image a bit, in an effort to bring it close to actual color. I wasn’t willing to take it off the frame in order to scan it. But I promise when it is finished, I will give it a proper scan 🙂 (and no, I didn’t really stitch it crooked. I basted my evenweave onto the flannel ‘pockets’ crooked. It will all come right when it is washed and pressed.)

January 25, 2011
I am still working on this piece. I let it sit with very little stitching for a year or so, and have only worked on it in fits & starts since then. I’ll have to post a separate photo update when I have a day of good natural light to best capture the colors. Meanwhile, I am including a few of the progress photos I took along the way so far!