The Bittersweet Season

Sept 12, 2007
To appease my need for stitching, without breaking out Egyptian Sampler, I’m working on ‘The Bittersweet Season’ from Heartstrings. It’s cute, it’s not difficult, and my reasoning is that of course I have to work on it now because it needs to be done in time for Halloween. Clever rationale, eh?

Oct 11, 2007
I finally got the rest of the beads sewn onto The Bittersweet Season. I like how this piece turned out for the most part. If I were to do anything differently, I would have used 3 strands of the ‘Black Crow’ floss, and 2 strands of the black #4 braid, to stitch the cat. I think the result looks a bit thin or sparse or something. Too much of the background shows through for my taste. And I might have used 1 strand of black braid and 1 strand of gold or silver or iridescent color, just so the stripe effect actually would show up. It’s there, but I have to tilt the piece “just so” for the light to catch the sparkle. Kind of irritating, but oh well.

All in all, I like this. I got to use a couple of new-to-me stitches, and stitch a piece in a genre of patterns I haven’t really done much with before now. The colors are nice (I like orange, but in small doses) and Halloween is one of my favorite times of year. I’m going to finish it as a hanging, I just have to find the perfect bit of twig/ stick/ branch first.
Apologies for the slight tilt, I was trying to fit the whole thing on my scanner. I almost did it, just a smidge snipped off the top star and the bottom row of stitches.

Advertisements