Basket of Biscornu

I have been making progress on the Eagle Scout Emblem and will be taking progress photos soon. My stash has several “smalls” in it and one of them has even been carried around on outings. In spite of that I do not have any smalls in progress. They’re a nice bit of a break from a large piece in that you get the satisfaction of a project completion. A little encouragement to keep on stitching the large projects.

I made a biscornu ages ago, and have seen literally hundreds of other people’s biscornus (well, virtually that is). Last year some time I started seeing people talking about “baskets” of biscornu, and I finally took the time to do some internet searching to figure out what it is all about.

It sounds like a lot of fun though I would have to limit where I displayed the finished products else they would be “claimed” by the furry pets in the household as toys…

For anyone else who was or is as mystified as I was about this project, you can read all about it on the Basket of Biscornu blog.

a finish and a WIP

I have a few things to share this evening. 🙂 The first one is a biscornu, my first ever. I realized after finishing it that it probably really should have had more stuffing inside. I also forgot to scan the two pieces of needlework before I stitched them together. oops.

Anyhow, the patterns came from My Aunt’s Attic. I used 28 ct antique white evenweave. The light side is stitched with Needle Necessities #119, and the more colorful side is stitched with Waterlilies #74 Storm Clouds, and Simply Shaker Butternut Squash. I was aiming for a more French blue, (should have realized that with a name like “Storm Clouds” the color was likely to be more gray than blue), but I still am pleased with the result.

My other piece to share this evening is a WIP. I’m stitching Needle Guardian by Teresa Wentzler (yay for Patterns Online! I’ve been wanting this one since I saw pics of it in someone’s blog who had attended the workshop.) It is also stitched on 28 ct antique white evenweave. I have some more lettering I can do, as well as the nun stitch border, but I’m almost out of things I can do until my order of Dinky Dyes, Kreinik and Mill Hill beads comes in. I thought about substituting things I have in my stash, and decided against it. For one thing, I looked online and couldn’t really find any variegated floss that had a similar colorway to the Dinky Dyes “Airlie”. I know that any TW stitched with her supply list turns out lovely. I’m not so sure what would happen if I replaced willy-nilly.

For anyone who intends to stitch this, if you’re as impatient as I am, you might want to order your floss *before* you start stitching it. It took me a while to find an online needlework shop that carries it which I was willing to do business with. And even so, they have to order it because they don’t have it in stock. I only found a few shops that said they had it in stock, usually just one skein. I wanted two skeins, in the same dye lot. I think I might want to stitch another one of these needlecases, and I didn’t want to have to twiddle my thumbs waiting for floss again. 🙂 I didn’t scan this, but when I finish it I’ll be sure to do a scan instead of just snapping a photo.