Iris Quilt

When I was a little girl my mother started this quilt. It took her quite a few years to finish it, as she did all the applique and quilting by hand. It is (and was) much loved and used for a decade or two at least. I have not had it in use for several years now as the floss she used for the flowers is wearing thin. I’m afraid to wash it even for fear little pieces will come off and be forever lost in the plumbing somewhere.

So I began re-stitching it. It has been at least two years now since I’ve worked on it but I think about getting it out once in a while and resuming the process.

Here is an image of the quilt:

And here is a better picture of the damage, followed by a picture of some of the repair stitching.

Embroidery is not something I am proficient at but by the time I finish the last stem and flower and leaf I’m sure they will be looking much nicer than these first few! Part of the leaf issue with this example was that the seam allowance on the bit of fabric was pretty much frayed into oblivion. I had considered making new bits for damaged/missing motifs but decided against it. Matching the fabric for both color and “age” would have been a large task. In the instances where I have too little (or no) fabric to repair I will just fill in with some sort of stitch instead.

Advertisements

Coffee is Magic

This chart was a freebie from Jennifer Aikman-Smith of Dragon Dreams. It is no longer available on her site or I would gladly share the link. “Coffee is Magic in the Morning” was a fun fairly quick stitch. I got to use a furry fiber for the first time, as well as glow-in-the-dark floss. (The bunny slippers and beard both glow, cute!) -edit- Now that I look at it I realize it isn’t fuzzy floss… I believe that what happened was I was supposed to use fuzzy floss but was too impatient to wait for my order to arrive so I purchased the glowy DMC at a local shop. It’s been a few years since I stitched it so I’d forgotten about that.

The only flaw was not centering my project on my cloth right, and then I got creative with the border. Some day I may pick out that yellow and sew a cloth border on so I can frame it properly.

The odd shadow is from my scanner. I eventually figured out how to ‘block’ the slide holder slot with a sheet of plain paper, but this was scanned prior to that.